Can Dogs Eat Cashews?
Some nuts are okay for dogs to eat while others aren’t. On that list, where do cashews lie? Can dogs eat cashews? The short answer is yes. Dogs can eat cashews, though it should be given to them in moderation and small quantities. In addition, there are a few risks to keep in mind when sharing this nutty snack with your furry friend.
As always, before sharing any human food with your dog, especially new foods, be sure to consult with your veterinarian first.
How are cashews good for dogs?
Believe it or not, cashews do have a decent amount of nutritional value for dogs. These nuts contain protein, heart-healthy monounsaturated fats, vitamin E, vitamin K, and fiber. They also have minerals that boost their immune systems, such as zinc and magnesium. Copper is also in cashews, which helps support healthy joints and bones.
While they sound great, cashews can pose some risks for dogs. So, there are a few things you need to think about before feeding your dog cashews.
How are cashews bad for dogs?
Luckily, cashews are not toxic for dogs. So, if they accidentally eat more than they should, it shouldn’t be too much of a problem. Your doggo may end up with an upset stomach, but that’s it.
Cashews are high in protein and high in fat, which is great if you have an active pup. They’ll burn off the energy the nuts give them. But too much fat can lead to pancreatitis, which is a serious condition. Your pooch will have to go to the veterinarian right away if your pup has any of the following symptoms:
- Abdomen pain
- Hunched back
In addition, foods that are high in fat can also lead to excessive weight gain and obesity. Thus, leading to joint issues and diabetes.
Additionally, dogs can be allergic to nuts just like humans can. While it’s not often, it’s still possible. If you have never fed cashews or any other nuts to your pooch, then you’ll want to keep out for symptoms of an allergic reaction. Most of the time, they’ll be fine, but just in case, watch out for swelling, itching, or hives.
Cashews are typically sold in a variety of packs with other nuts. Remember, not all nuts are safe for dogs to consume. So, if you get cashews from these packs, it’s important to pick out the cashews and feed those to your dog only.
Other nuts are toxic to dogs, so it’s better you don’t feed cashews from a variety pack anyway. Just in case the nuts get mixed up, or some residue gets on the cashews. It’s better to be safe than sorry.
On the other hand, they may come salted. Feeding your pup salted cashews isn’t a good idea. Too much sodium can give them an upset stomach and eventually lead to sodium poisoning (if given too much).
How to safely feed cashews to dogs
Your dog’s diet should be 90% of their commercial dog food brand, and the other 10% can be made up of treats or other food that’s safe and healthy for them to eat. Following this rule, cashews should only be in that 10%, but not the entirety of it.
Cashews need to be fed to your pooch in moderation and small quantities. Also, they should be unsalted so that your doggo doesn’t end up consuming too much sodium.
Always monitors your pup when giving them cashews. Be sure to hand these nuts to them one or two at a time. Most dogs don’t chew their food, and you don’t want them to eat too much at once accidentally. In addition, these nuts can pose a choking hazard, especially for smaller dogs.
Can dogs eat cashew butter?
Cashew butter is a great way to add these nuts to your pooch’s diet. However, it’s not a good idea to buy cashew butter from the store. It will most likely have added sugar, added salt, and preservatives. None of that is healthy for your furry friend.
Consider making your own cashew butter so that you know what exactly is going into your pooch’s body. You can do this by pureeing cashews and blending them with honey until smooth. Once you make your own pet-safe cashew butter, you can try some of these homemade dog treats at home.
Should dogs eat cashews?
There is nothing wrong with giving your pooch cashews here and there. As long as it’s not an everyday snack and you watch your dog while eating these nuts, they should be okay. However, ask your veterinarian first, and if they approve, your pooch will surely love this tasty treat.