Can Dogs Eat Mushrooms?
Can dogs eat mushrooms? When we’re eating our own food, it’s often tempting to slip our dog some — or try to find alternatives to their regular kibble and treats that they love.
However, it’s always important to research. Sometimes, foods that are safe for humans just aren’t great for dogs, or can even be toxic.
So, can dogs eat mushrooms? Can we confidently give them some?
Can Dogs Eat Mushrooms?
The short answer is that plain store-bought mushrooms are fine to give to dogs. There are, however, a lot of considerations when it comes to mushrooms and dogs in general.
Are They Safe?
Yes. Although there are many toxic mushrooms in the wild, store-bought mushrooms are perfectly safe. You do need to be carefully about what they’re cooked with.
Are They Healthy?
Mushrooms do have a lot of nutrients that are just as good for dogs as they are for humans.
Mushrooms have many nutrients, including:
- Vitamin B
Dogs need vitamins are much as humans do, and potassium can also really help them. Antioxidants are great for preventing cancer and other severe diseases.
Unfortunately, there are risks associated with giving your dogs mushrooms.
The first is that mushrooms are rarely served plain. If you’re slipping your dog some mushrooms from your plate, chances are, they’ve been seasoned in something or doused in oil and sauce. Oil is far too high in fat to be good for dogs, and salt and pepper can be very bad for them too.
Some seasonings, such as garlic and onion powder, are downright toxic for dogs.
Many dogs have sensitivities and allergies, so you should always start off slow when feeding your dog mushrooms.
Of course, the main risk is with wild mushrooms. If you see your dog grabbing one in your backyard or out on a walk, you might wonder how likely it is that the mushroom is toxic. It could be.
Signs of mushroom poisoning include:
- Clear pain or discomfort
The symptoms of poisoning ultimately depend on what kind of mushroom they ate, but you should keep an eye out for them all if your dog has eaten a wild mushroom. Even if you think you can identify the mushroom and it’s a safe one, it’s often hard to be sure. Better safe than sorry.
The following mushrooms are very toxic to dogs and shouldn’t be consumed under any circumstances:
- Death cap (amanita phalloides)
- Jeweled death cap (amanita gemmata)
- Deadly algaric (amanita muscaria)
- Deadly galerina (galerina marginata)
How To Prevent It And What To Do If My Dog Eats One
You should prevent your dog from getting to wild mushrooms by keeping them on a leash so you can pull them away if the worst comes to worst. “Leave it” is also a very valuable cue to teach your dog.
You can teach “leave it” by starting off with a treat. Place it on the floor, give the verbal cue, and put your hand over the treat when they try to take it. When they voluntarily leave it on their own, reward them with a different treat.
Start off with a low-value treat and build to high-value until the cue is completely reliable, regardless of what they’re going after.
If your dog does consume a mushroom and you’re not sure if it’s toxic, try not to panic. Call your veterinarian. They may have you bring the dog in to examine them, and/or they can tell you how to induce vomiting and what signs to look for. There is no more important thing than calling the vet’s office in these circumstances, so if your regular veterinarian is closed, find an emergency vet to call.
Because mushrooms can be dangerous for dogs and aren’t 100% safe depending on the type of mushroom or what they were cooked in, there are other great snacks you can feed your dogs.
You should always research anything you give them, even when they’re fruits or vegetables. Just because something is safe for humans, doesn’t mean it’s the same way for dogs.
You can, however, give them any of these fruits or vegetables with confidence:
Things that are toxic to dogs include grapes and cherries, so never let them indulge in any of those.
So, can dogs eat mushrooms? Technically yes if they’re plain and store-bought, and there are some health benefits! However, there might be other snacks that are more nutritious.
Although many wild mushrooms are safe for dogs, you can never be sure, so keep them away from wild mushrooms at all costs. While some are safe, others are toxic and can cause severe poisoning that can be fatal. Teach your dog “leave it” and if an accident does happen, you should call your veterinarian ASAP.