Can Dogs Eat Onions?
Can dogs eat onions? The short answer is no; dogs cannot eat onions. Causing bad breath from eating onions is the least of the worries if your furry friend happens to snatch a bite of an onion. This vegetable, unfortunately, is toxic to dogs. Onion toxicity can be fatal if not treated or caught right away. So, if you believe your pooch has eaten onion or parts of one, then call your veterinarian immediately.
What parts of the onion are toxic to dogs?
There are many parts of onion, and all of it is toxic to dogs. The flesh, leaves, and juices of a raw onion are toxic, but other ingredients that include onion, such as onion powder, are also toxic to dogs. Whether the onion is raw, cooked, fried, or powdered, it will make your pup sick.
Onion powder is an ingredient in many foods we eat. So, if you decide to share a little bit of your own meal with your doggo, be sure to check the ingredients. If it contains onion powder, then it’s best to keep the entire meal for yourself.
How are onions toxic to dogs?
Onions have N-propyl disulfide. This compound causes your dog’s red blood cells to break down, thus leading to anemia. This takes away the ability of the red blood cells to carry oxygen. Furthermore, your dog’s system will believe the red blood cells are an invader and destroy them.
Symptoms of onion toxicity and anemia in dogs
If your dog has eaten an onion, then there are a few symptoms to watch out for. For example:
- Loss of appetite
- Pale gums
- Reddish urine
- Elevated heart rate
If you notice any of these signs in your pooch, then the best thing to do is call your vet right away and bring your dog to the emergency vet. From there, your vet will be able to properly diagnose what’s wrong with your pooch through blood work. Other conditions can cause anemia as well, so this way, you’ll be able to get an accurate diagnosis quickly.
If your dog gets poisoned by eating onions, your vet may do a few different treatments to get it out of your furry friend’s system. This may include inducing vomiting or flushing your dog’s system to get everything, including the poison, out. Activated charcoal may be given to your pup so that the poison will get absorbed into that. In severe cases, a blood transfusion may be necessary.
Treatment will depend on your dog’s age and size. Smaller dogs will be affected more because they have smaller bodies and stomachs. Similarly, aging dogs and puppies may have it worse because they have a weakened immune system. Treatment will also depend on how much onion your doggo ate, as well. A lick of the broth you made that has onions in it may not have such consequences as opposed to your dog eating a whole onion.
How to prevent your dog from eating onions
Dogs are curious, and while they get the nutrients they need from their commercial dog food, they’re always looking for more food. They’re curious about what your eating, and they don’t know if something is toxic for them or not. If it smells good, they’re going to eat it.
The best way to prevent your dog from getting onions is to keep all toxic ingredients in high places. This way, your furry friend won’t be able to get to it.
In addition, be sure to check all the ingredients you cook with. Many foods contain onion powder, which is also toxic to dogs. If you’re thinking of sharing a little taste with your pooch, it’s best not to in case you don’t know what’s in it. If you use onion powder to flavor something you’re cooking, it’s best to cook a little plain and set it aside before adding your seasonings. Then you can still share the food with your dog in a safe way.
Can dogs eat onions? No!
Onions are highly toxic for dogs and can be fatal if not treated or caught right away. Always remember to check with your dog’s veterinarian before trying new foods with your pooch. In addition, check the ingredients yourself before trying new foods with your dog to make sure nothing in the ingredients is toxic or unsafe for your furry friend to consume.