Can Dogs Eat Peanuts?
So, can dogs eat peanuts? Unfortunately, the answer isn’t as cut and dry as some other human foods. Dogs can eat one kind of peanut in small quantities and moderation. Otherwise, your furry friend should stay away from peanuts altogether.
Before trying this nut with your pup, you should call your veterinarian and make sure that it’s a safe option for your pooch to consume.
How are peanuts good for dogs?
If you get the go-ahead from your dog’s vet to feed them peanuts, then there is only one kind you can give them. Make sure they’re shelled peanuts that are plain, unsalted, and unseasoned. If you have those peanuts on hand, then your pooch can certainly have a couple of them in moderation.
Peanuts contain a good amount of nutrients for your four-legged friends, such as protein, healthy fats, niacin, vitamin B, and vitamin E. It also contains minerals, including phosphorous, magnesium, and potassium.
In addition, the majority of peanuts are made up of dietary fiber and fat. While your dog does need some fat to thrive, too much can cause weight gain and other issues. Otherwise, the fat and fiber will keep your dogs energized and regular.
What are the risks?
Plain, unsalted, and unseasoned peanuts are the best way to go when sharing this tasty snack with your pooch. Honey-nut, roasted, and other kinds of peanuts are not safe for your pup to consume since they have too many other ingredients or too much salt for your dog’s diet.
When sharing peanuts with your doggo, be sure to remove the shells. The shells aren’t toxic, but they could make your pup uncomfortable and give them a stomach upset. In addition, the shells can be a choking hazard. Dogs don’t typically chew their food as we do, and they may swallow the shell whole if given a chance. This can not only get stuck in their throat, but dogs won’t be able to digest the shell.
Can dogs be allergic to peanuts?
Unfortunately, dogs can have food allergies just like humans. This includes peanut allergies. If you notice your dog is uncomfortable or seems to be having an allergic reaction after eating peanuts, then it’s best to get them to the emergency veterinarian right away.
Peanut allergies in dogs are rare, but be on the lookout for these symptoms:
- Trouble breathing
- Itchy skin
- Skin swelling
Most of the time, the allergic reaction is mild, but some cases can be severe. Every dog is different, and if you don’t know if your pooch has any food allergies or not, then it’s best to call your vet to be on the safe side.
How to safely add peanuts to your dog’s diet
There are a few different ways you can give your dog unsalted, plain peanuts. You can use these small nuts as an occasional treat. They’re great for training treats but may not be the best choice for puppies to consume.
In addition, you can chop up a small handful of peanuts and add it as a food topper or mix it in with your pup’s dinner. This will add a little bit of extra crunch to their meal if that’s what they prefer.
If you have a dog breed that needs plenty of physical and mental stimulation throughout the day, then you can always put a few peanuts inside a puzzle toy. Your dog will have to work for it, but they’ll receive a tasty treat in the end and have fun while trying to get to their snack.
Remember, about 90% of your dog’s diet should consist of their commercial dog food. This is where they’re going to get all of the nutrients they need to remain healthy. The other 10% of their diet can consist of dog-safe treats and human food that’s healthy and safe for them to consume in moderation.
Peanuts are a great way to help dogs gain weight due to their fat content. However, too much can cause them to become overweight, especially if they’re already at a healthy weight. Whether your pup is underweight or obese, you should always talk to your vet beforehand.
Finally, whether your dog has never had peanuts before or they eat them once in a while, you should always watch your pup while they eat. This way, you can monitor their behavior and health to ensure the peanuts agree with their system.
Can dogs eat peanuts?
Yes, dogs can eat peanuts, but they should only have plain, unroasted, deshelled peanuts. Moderation is key when giving dogs this nutty snack, and it should be fed to them in small quantities. If your vet says it’s okay, your pooch will surely ensure this treat.