Can Dogs Eat Rice?
Can dogs eat rice? The short answer is yes. Rice can do wonders for your pooch, whether they’re healthy or feeling a little bit under the weather. In fact, you might find rice as a common ingredient in your dog’s commercial dog food brand.
Rice should be cooked when it’s fed to your pooch, and you should always check in with your dog’s veterinarian before trying any new foods. Rice is healthy for dogs, but there are a few precautions to take and considerations to think about.
What is rice?
Rice is part of the grains food group. Sometimes, grains don’t agree with a dog’s digestive system, which is why there are dog food brands on the market that advertise a grain-free diet.
A dog might need a grain-free diet if they have an intolerance or allergy to grains or if grains don’t agree with their system. For the most part, though, rice is safe to give to your dog as long as they’re not on a grain-free diet from their vet.
White rice vs. brown rice
Rice is good for your dog, but there are a few differences between white rice and brown rice. Both have their own pros and cons. White rice is the most common and recommended, though.
White rice is easy to prepare, quick for your pup to digest, and it’s low in fiber. So, oftentimes, when your doggo has an upset stomach, you can boil plain white rice and feed that to them. It will help settle their stomach without hurting them further. It will also help bind your pup if they have diarrhea.
Brown rice, on the other hand, isn’t used to help stomach upset because your furry friend needs the starch from the white rice. Brown rice is harder for dogs to digest, which is why it isn’t recommended often. It’s still safe for your dog to consume, but only in little bits.
No matter what kind of rice you give your pooch, moderation is key. White rice, for example, has a high glycemic index. This means it can cause blood sugar levels to spikes. So, if you have a diabetic pup, then you’ll want to keep their consumption of white rice to the bare minimum.
White rice and brown rice are also high in calories, as well. It would be best if you always gave your pooch small quantities of rice so that they don’t eat too much. Remember, 90% of your dog’s diet should be their commercial dog food, while the other 10% can be made up of treats and healthy human foods that are safe for them to eat.
Also, rice is typically already an ingredient in your dog’s food. So, if you decide to give your pooch plain rice on your own, keep in mind that they’re already getting some rice from their dinner.
How to safely feed rice to your dog
As stated before, rice is typically an ingredient that’s already in your dog’s food. Chances are, you might not need to supplement their dinner with more rice. However, if your dog has an upset stomach, then it’s not a bad idea to skip dinner and only feed them a little bit of plain, white rice. That will help their stomach feel better and regulate their system again.
You can add rice to their dinner, though, even if it’s already part of their meal. Sprinkling some white rice as a topper won’t hurt your pup.
Never give your dog raw rice. They won’t be able to digest it and won’t get any of the benefits from it. Plus, raw rice is coated with starch.
So, when feeding rice to your dog, be sure to rinse the raw rice thoroughly. Get the excess starch off, and then you can place the water in a pot of boiling water. Cook the rice and keep it plain. Adding seasonings or anything else to the cooked rice will only hurt your dog’s stomach and digestive system. Cooked, plain, white rice is the best way to go.
Once the rice is cooked, you can drain the water, let it cool, and then serve your pooch. You can always pack any extra cooked rice into an airtight container and keep it refrigerated for a few days to serve to your dog again the next day.
Alternatively, you can make your own homemade recipes with rice as an ingredient to add to your dog’s food or to use as an occasional treat.
- Chicken and Wild Rice Dog Biscuits
- Chicken, Cheddar, and Brown Rice Dog Treats
- Homemade Dog Biscuit Treat with Rice
- Rice and Peanut Butter Dog Treats
Can dogs eat rice?
The short answer is yes. Dogs can eat rice. It will help with their digestive system and help them feel better when they have an upset stomach. White rice and brown rice have their pros and cons, so it’ll be best to consult your veterinarian to see which one would be best for your four-legged friend.