Have you ever wondered if you doggo can share a piece of shrimp or two with you? Well, you’re in luck because you can. The answer to “can dogs eat shrimp?” is pretty simple, and the answer is yes.
Much like any other human foods, you’ll want to check in with your veterinarian first before feeding your pooch any new food. If you get the okay to feed them shrimp, then remember that moderation is key. Shrimp has plenty of nutritional benefits for your pup, but there are still a few things to be cautious about.
How is shrimp good for dogs?
First, a dog’s diet is supposed to be 90% of their commercial dog food. This means that anything else your dog eats, including human foods and treats, should only make up the rest of the 10%. This is why feeding your pooch a little bit of human food at a time is better. Your doggo will get an extra nutrient boost while remaining true to their diet.
Shrimp is good for your dog to have once in a while because of all of the vitamins and minerals packed into this fish. For example, shrimp has glucosamine, which helps supports joint health and improve mobility. Dog’s make glucosamine on their own, but it slows down as they get older. Aging dogs is when they need the most joint support.
This food also contains many antioxidants. One to note is astaxanthin, which fights against free radicals to prevent cancer, chronic diseases, and premature aging. Astaxanthin also reduces inflammation, boosts the immune system, provides essential nutrients, and helps clear conditions such as the dry eye.
Taurina is an amino acid that’s in shrimp. This helps the immune system and heart, eyes, and brain health. It also helps protect your dog against seizures. Finally, shrimp is low in fat and low-calorie that’s also packed with vitamins and minerals, such as:
- Vitamins B12, B3, and D3
The downside to shrimp is that it’s high in cholesterol. Too much shrimp can cause unhealthy cholesterol levels in your dog’s diet, causing them to get sick. In addition, humans can be allergic to shrimp, and so can dogs. So while it’s not common, your dog may be allergic to shrimp. If you notice any allergy symptoms in your pooch after they have shrimp, such as difficulty breathing, vomiting, diarrhea, or excessive scratching of their skin or ears, then be sure to call your vet right away.
How to safely serve shrimp to your dog
Seeing all the positives, shrimp can offer your dog plenty of reason to share it with your pooch once in a while. However, there are certain ways to give your pooch shrimp, and there are ways to stay away from it. So while the nutritional benefit is good, there are wrong ways to share shrimp with your doggo.
Raw shrimp is bad for dogs. Uncooked shellfish contain harmful pathogens, which can make your dog sick. Symptoms may include vomiting, diarrhea, fever, or weight loss. Call your vet immediately if you notice these signs in your pooch after they accidentally eat raw shrimp.
In addition, the shells of the shrimp can be a choking hazard, so you’ll always want to remove the shell before feeding the shrimp to your dog. This goes for the shrimp tails, as well. So again, these are choking hazards for your dog, especially small dogs.
Cooked shrimp is the best way to go. As long as you don’t make the shrimp with added seasonings such as onions and garlic, cooked shrimp will be the healthiest for your pooch. In addition, fried or breaded shrimp contains unneeded oils and fats, so it’s best to stay away from that as well.
One of the best ways to cook shrimp for your furry friend is to boil the shrimp. You can boil many pieces of shrimp together, taking off the shells. Once they’re cooked, you can set aside a couple of pieces for your dogs and then added seasoning to the rest for yourself.
Human foods, including shrimp, should be fed in moderation and small quantities for your dog. So, some ways you can share shrimp with your pooch is to give them a small piece or two when you’re eating it – as long as it’s plain and cooked for them. You can also sprinkle some on their commercial dog food as a topper to add a little extra flavor.
Or, you can use it as an ingredient if you make your own homemade dog food or treats. Here are some good recipes to try at home:
Can dogs eat shrimp?
Yes! These small fish are packed with nutrients, vitamins, and minerals for your pooch. You’ll be able to share a few cooked pieces with your furry friend now and then. Not only will they get a tasty snack, but they’ll get some added benefits to their system as well.
Similar Reading: can dogs eat seafood?
So can dogs eat shrimp? The answer is a yes!
Rachel is a stay-at-home pet mom, caring for her dog, cat, turtle, tortoise, and fish. She’s a content writer in various niches but most notably in the pet field, educating pet parents on the health and wellbeing of their furry friends. When she’s not writing, she’s reading, playing video games, or organizing something.